Weymouth Half – The bike (and T2)

20 Sep
Bike bags at Weymouth

We’d set up our bags in transition, ready to grab before getting on our bikes © Liz Carter

After grabbing my bag and putting on my helmet, it was time to put on my race belt and ride.

Race number 1737

I really like personalised race numbers – it’s lovely when spectators cheer your name

I’d decided to put my shoes on before getting to my bike as there was a slightly twisty section before getting out onto the road, and I didn’t want to embarrass myself in front of spectators. As soon as I was out onto the main road, I heard Ellie cheering 🙂

Tamsyn on bike

Thanks to Ellie for snapping me on my bike © Eleanore Coulthard

Tamsyn on bike in Weymouth

Ellie cheered loudly enough to get my attention, so I was able to smile back © Eleanore Coulthard

Ellie managed to take a couple of photos and then I was off.

I knew that it would be quite a long time before I saw anyone I knew and was also aware that which ever way we were going out of Weymouth, it would be up a steep hill, so I started taking on fluids as soon as possible.

I was familiar with the first part of the course as we had cycled on it during a triathlon earlier this year. Fortunately, the route was well-marked and there were marshal at all junctions, so although I remained observant, I wasn’t too worried about the traffic.

Marshalls at roundabout

The course was well signed throughout and the marshalls took care of the traffic © Challengetriuk

It wasn’t long before we got to the steep hill. Someone had written all of the pros names on the hill in chalk, but I was focussing too hard on keeping my balance and getting up the hill to read the names. I was also quite surprised by the number of supporters on the hill, which was really motivational. I was also cheered by the number of people who I was able to pass on the hill. Towards the top, the supporters seemed to be getting very vocal and were taking lots of photographs, which was very flattering… however, after I turned the corner and was starting to relax a bit as the angle of elevation became less steep, I suddenly became aware of why the crowd had been going crazy – I was immediately ahead of the elite men who had started their second lap of the course!

Tamsyn at the top of a hill on the bike ride

Nearly at the top of a hill © Marathon-Photos

Tamsyn cycling to the top of a hill

I’m not sure that my expression shows how much I was enjoying myself! © Marathon-Photos

I pushed on, and as the photos show, I finally made it to the top of the hill.

The course was picturesque and despite the fact that it was early in the morning, there were quite a lot of spectators out and about. Many of the bystanders were elderly people who were clapping enthusiastically, so I did my best to smile and give them a thumbs up.

Fairly early into the course, a couple of men on bikes who were not in the race cycled passed me and made some comments, so I spoke to them. They pulled alongside me and asked me what I was doing, so I explained about the race. They then asked me whether I’d like to stick on their wheels for a while, but I quickly declined explaining that I could be disqualified. We then came to a junction where I had to turn off and they headed onwards.

A little while later, a man in an Oxford Tri Club kit passed me, but as soon as we got to teh next hill, I passed him. We ended up playing a cat-and-mouse game for about 25km, with me passing him on every uphill and him passing me on every downhill. I felt frustrated that I wasn’t able to go as fast as some other people going downhill and tried not to brake, but I’m still very nervous after my accident earlier this year and worry that I will crash.

In the photos below, you can see my foe – they’re at a point when I was still in the lead 🙂


© Marathon-Photos


© Marathon-Photos


© Marathon-Photos


© Marathon-Photos


© Marathon-Photos

At one point in the course, there was an out and back section. It was quite nice to see other riders, although I had no idea of how much further ahead than me they were. I didn’t feel disappointed that I was at the back as I was conscious that I had started in the last swim wave. I was also a little distracted as I wondered whether I would see Stuart, Gary, Suzanne or one of my other friends on the bike. After a little while, someone called out to me and I realised it was James. This reassured me that the turn around point couldn’t be too far ahead. I estimated that James would have been 5 minutes faster than me on the swim and that he had started 5-10 minutes ahead of me. I also assumed that he would have taken several minutes less time in transition than me. This meant that he would be about 20 minutes ahead of me.

A few minutes after passing James, I saw someone up ahead in a Southampton Tri Club trisuit. I knew it couldn’t be Liz as I had left her in the changing tent, so I guessed it was Jan. I shouted some support and then passed her as quickly as possible on the hill… possibly a bit too quickly, but Jan’s a senior official, so I didn’t want her to think I should be disqualified for drafting!

Further down the road, there was a man in some lurid patterned yellow trousers standing in the middle of the road and shouting something. I’m not sure why, but my first thought was that he was a saboteur. A couple of other cyclists had stopped and I could see a girl walking up the hill pushing her bike. The man explained that there had been an accident and said something about the air ambulance. I wasn’t sure what to do. I knew that we were still on the clock, but I had no idea what had happened up ahead. Soon, Jan arrived on the scene and pointed out that if we proceeded with caution in single file then we should be OK. She carried on, so I follower her (at a suitable distance). I was so relieved that she had turned up, otherwise I think we would have stopped for a while. Apparently, a fast male cyclist had tried to overtake another fast male cyclist on the way up the hill. He went onto the wrong side of the road and went straight into a female cyclist who was on her ay down the hill. Apparently, there were no serious injuries, but the air ambulance and another ambulance were required at the time.

Nutrition was available at the turn around point, but I didn’t fancy anything, so I carried on, passing the chap from Oxford Tri Club who was refuelling. We called out to each other and I said I’d see him again soon. Sure enough, he passed me on the way up the next hill.


© Marathon-Photos


© Marathon-Photos

Before the event, my strategy had been to stop every 25-30km to drink and take on nutrition as I’m terrible at eating and drinking whilst moving, but I just didn’t want to stop, so I forced myself to drink as much as possible. I had a bottle of pink grapefruit High-5 with caffeine in it and a bottle of water. To be honest, I’d much rather drink water, but I knew that just some water wouldn’t be enough to sustain me for the entire event. I also had a small flapjack and a few black cherry shotbloks. I tried to take small bites of the flapjack as I struggle to chew and swallow it whilst cycling, but old habits die hard and several times I bit off more than I should have! I was really pleased that I drank 75% of my electrolyte drink and about 25% of my water.

By the time I reached the tank museum, I was feeling fantastic and started to worry that maybe I had been cycling too hard. I had managed to drop the chap from Oxford Tri Club and seemed to be cycling alone. However, the last section of the course was great as I was familiar with it and I knew that there were no more hills coming up, just a gentle incline that was barely noticeable, so I started pushing the pace.

I’ve now had my road bike for just over a year and, in that time, I’ve only ever had one puncture (at the top of a steep hill in Cornwall, whilst out on a 100km ride with Stu and Donna). I tried to fix it myself, but the tyre would not budge and my colleagues started asking me whether I had tubs. After a lot of huffing and puffing with the tyre levers, we managed to replace the inner tube, but the experience meant that getting a puncture was something I feared most about the race. I knew that if it happened, it would take me so long to fix it that I would probably end up finishing with the last iron-distance competitors.

When I got to the final 10k, the relief was in my mind that if I needed to run with my bike, I could do that (the fact that I was wearing cleats wasn’t something that I considered!) I was also glad to see that my average pace had been creeping up throughout the race and it was around 24.1kph. The Garmin Sharp Ride Out had given me confidence that I could ride consistently at 25kph without exhausting myself, so I was pushing as hard as possible to reach that target. Although I didn’t make that time, I was quite pleased that I managed to remain ‘in the zone’ as if I cycle on my own for more than 45 minutes, I tend to start daydreaming and then my pace drops.

When I turned at the final roundabout, I could already see people running up and down the seafront, so I started to pick up my cadence to get my legs ready for what was coming. I undid my shoes and slipped my feet out of the, so I that I could dismount as quickly as possible. As soon as I reached the dismount line, I jumped off and passed my bag to the waiting marshal.

My time for the bike was 3:47:02 – 116/131 women.

I was delighted that I had beaten my targets – my realistic target was 4:15-4:30 with an optimistic target of 4:00-4:15. I was even more surprised that I finished within 2-3 minutes of James N., Roelie and Clare, all of whom I would consider to be much better cyclists than me.

I ran around the corner to where my transition bag was lined up.

Blue run bags at Challenge Weymouth

The run bags were laid out behind the changing tents © Liz Carter

I quickly found my bag and stopped by it to grab a couple of bits, but a marshal called out to me saying that I had to go into the changing tent. I then heard someone else say my name and was surprised to see James in amongst the transition bags. I had expected him to be long gone on the run as he had been quite a long way ahead on the bike, but he wasn’t having a very lucky day.

I put on my trainers, abandoned my helmet, headband and sunglasses, grabbed my visor, had a quick puff of my inhaler and was off… This transition only took me 2:40, which placed me 8th in my category and 46th female, so it was by far my best discipline of the day!


7 Responses to “Weymouth Half – The bike (and T2)”

  1. G 22/09/2014 at 12:23 am #

    Well done! That sounds like it was a tough ride. Good work !

    • tamsynsmith 23/09/2014 at 10:26 pm #

      Thank you. It was a really enjoyable ride, and gave me a real boost to know that I was not doing really badly!

      • G 27/09/2014 at 8:17 pm #

        Any plans for longer triathlons ? Such a small world that we are both in so ton. I actually train in the Common an sport centre and have been at park run before. Funny all world 🙂

      • tamsynsmith 29/09/2014 at 8:06 pm #

        If you ever spot me (I tend to wear the same kit all the time and include enough photos on my blog!) please come over and say hello 🙂 I’m definitely going to do another 70.3 next year, but there won’t be anything longer until at least 2016! How about you?

      • G 02/10/2014 at 11:04 pm #

        Might see you Saturday at park run! For me, after ironmanuk70.3 next year I want to do the full ironman. When ? I don’t know. I could have seen you at trytri in sept aquathlon but couldn’t make it. I did try he august one. Such a small world!

  2. fatguy2triguy 22/09/2014 at 3:30 pm #

    Love the pictures. Sure is some pretty country to be riding through.

    • tamsynsmith 23/09/2014 at 10:22 pm #

      It is very scenic around Weymouth (but a bit hilly!) The villages are stunning – they’re the kind of ones that appear on chocolate boxes and it was lovely to see elderly people out sitting on their garden walls waving and cheering.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: